Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey, B.C. — The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of BC is investigating an incident in Sooke in which one man has died.
Information provided by the RCMP states that at about 1:50 p.m. on June 27, 2023, the Sooke RCMP were called to a residence on Kemp Lake Road by a male who appeared to be in emotional distress. Officers responded to the scene, but the man was later found deceased.
The IIO has commenced an investigation, and initial investigative steps will seek to confirm the details of the interaction between the man and police.
The IIO asks anyone with relevant information about this incident to contact the witness line toll free at 1-855-446-8477 or via the contact form at iiobc.ca.
The IIO is the Independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.
If you are in crisis, help is available:
- Call 310-6789 to be connected to the crisis centre nearest you (no area code required)
- Crisis Services Canada: crisisservicescanada.ca
- British Columbia: crisislines.bc.ca
- Vancouver and surrounding areas: crisiscentre.bc.ca
- Vancouver Island: vicrisis.ca
- VictimLinkBC: 1-800-563-0808