Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of B.C. is investigating the circumstances surrounding the February 21 death of an off-duty member of the Richmond RCMP.
At approximately 9:15 pm on February 21, calls to 911 reported a woman considering self-harm. Just after 10:00 pm, Vancouver Police officers located the woman’s body on the sidewalk of the Moray Bridge in Richmond. She had suffered what appeared to be self-inflicted injuries.
The IIO is investigating the circumstances surrounding this death. Further details will not be released at this time in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. Anyone with relevant information is asked to contact the IIO witness line at 1-855-446-8477.
The IIO is the independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.
If you are in crisis, help is available:
- Call 310-6789 to be connected to the crisis centre nearest you (no area code required)
- Crisis Services Canada: crisisservicescanada.ca
- British Columbia: crisislines.bc.ca
- Vancouver and surrounding areas: crisiscentre.bc.ca
- Vancouver Island: vicrisis.ca
- VictimLinkBC: 1-800-563-0808