Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of BC is investigating an incident in Princeton.
Information provided by the RCMP indicates that on March 13, 2021 at approximately 6:00 p.m., police responded to a call for assistance at a residence in the 2000-block of Princeton Summerland Road. When police arrived, they found a man and two women at the location. The man had sustained a serious injury that appears to have been self-inflicted.
Emergency Health Services were called and attempted life-saving measures, but the man was subsequently pronounced dead. Police spoke to the man on two occasions in the two days preceding his death.
The IIO was notified on March 15 and commenced an investigation to determine what role, if any, police actions or inaction may have played in the man’s death.
The IIO is the independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.
If you are in crisis, help is available:
- Call 310-6789 to be connected to the crisis centre nearest you (no area code required)
- Crisis Services Canada: crisisservicescanada.ca
- British Columbia: crisislines.bc.ca
- Vancouver and surrounding areas: crisiscentre.bc.ca
- Vancouver Island: vicrisis.ca
- VictimLinkBC: 1-800-563-0808