Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of BC is investigating a death in Surrey.
Information provided by the RCMP indicates that on May 12, 2021 at approximately 11:45 p.m., police attended a residence in the 17000-block of 21 Avenue to conduct a wellness check. Officers reportedly spoke to a man at the home before departing.
The following morning, the man was found dead from an injury that appears to have been self-inflicted. The IIO will investigate to determine what role, if any, police actions or inaction may have played in the man’s death.
The IIO is asking any person with relevant information of the incident to please contact the Witness Line toll-free at 1-855-446-8477 or via the contact form on the iiobc.ca website.
The IIO is the independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.
If you are in crisis, help is available:
- Call 310-6789 to be connected to the crisis centre nearest you (no area code required)
- Crisis Services Canada: crisisservicescanada.ca
- British Columbia: crisislines.bc.ca
- Vancouver and surrounding areas: crisiscentre.bc.ca
- Vancouver Island: vicrisis.ca
- VictimLinkBC: 1-800-563-0808