Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of BC is investigating an incident in Coquitlam.
Information provided by the RCMP indicates that on April 16, 2021 at approximately 10:45 a.m., police responded to a call for assistance at a residence in the 1100-block of Howie Avenue. When police arrived, they located a man who reportedly injured himself while in their presence.
Police provided emergency first aid and the man was transported to hospital with a life-threatening injury. The IIO will investigate to determine what role, if any, police actions or inaction may have played in the man’s injury.
The IIO is asking any person with relevant information of the incident to please contact the Witness Line toll-free at 1-855-446-8477 or via the contact form on the iiobc.ca website.
The IIO is the independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.
If you are in crisis, help is available:
- Call 310-6789 to be connected to the crisis centre nearest you (no area code required)
- Crisis Services Canada: crisisservicescanada.ca
- British Columbia: crisislines.bc.ca
- Vancouver and surrounding areas: crisiscentre.bc.ca
- Vancouver Island: vicrisis.ca
- VictimLinkBC: 1-800-563-0808