Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey, B.C. – The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of BC is investigating an incident in Squamish.
Information provided by the RCMP indicates that on March 9, 2021 at approximately 6:30 p.m., police responded to a call for assistance at a residence on Stawamus Road. While police were at the residence, a woman sustained an injury.
Emergency Health Services were called and transported the woman to a hospital for treatment.
The IIO will investigate to determine what role, if any, police actions or inaction may have played in the woman’s injury.
The IIO is asking any person who saw, heard or recorded the incident to please contact the Witness Line toll-free at 1-855-446-8477 or via the contact form on the iiobc.ca website.
The IIO is the independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.
If you are in crisis, help is available:
- Call 310-6789 to be connected to the crisis centre nearest you (no area code required)
- Crisis Services Canada: crisisservicescanada.ca
- British Columbia: crisislines.bc.ca
- Vancouver and surrounding areas: crisiscentre.bc.ca
- Vancouver Island: vicrisis.ca
- VictimLinkBC: 1-800-563-0808