Independent Investigations Office
For Immediate Release
Surrey – The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. is seeking witnesses to a police incident that happened in New Westminster one week ago on Monday September 19.
The incident took place in the area of East 8th Avenue and Richmond Street in New Westminster between 3:30 p.m. and 4:15 p.m. A male suffered serious injuries as a result of an interaction with a member of the Vancouver Police Department and a VPD police service dog.
It is believed there were a number of cars passing through the area at that time. In addition, the IIO has been made aware that a witness may have recorded the incident on a cell phone. The IIO would like to speak to that witness and to anyone else who may have witnessed the incident.
Witnesses can contact the IIO at 1-855-446-8477.
The original information bulletin on this incident can be found here.
- The IIO is an independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer related incidents that result in serious harm or death.
- In the initial stages of an investigation, the IIO must determine if there is a connection between the serious harm or death and the actions or inactions of police. If there is a connection then the IIO will continue to investigate.
- If there is no connection between police action or inaction and the serious harm or death then the IIO will release jurisdiction.
- When the IIO proceeds with an investigation, these investigations end in one of two ways:
- If the Chief Civilian Director (CCD) of the IIO concludes that an officer may have committed any offence then the CCD will refer this case to Crown counsel for consideration of charges. The IIO does not lay charges.
- If the CCD concludes that no officer may have committed any offence then a public report will be released on the IIO’s website at www.iiobc.ca. These public reports give an in-depth look at the case and explain the CCD’s rationale for not referring the case to Crown counsel.
Acting Director, Public Engagement & Policy
Communications & Stakeholder Relations Liaison